Tom Hughes wrote:
> Igor Brejc wrote:
>
>> This question has come up several times (from what I could Google
>> out), but let me ask it again: when can we expect Mapnik OSM layer to
>> render highway=path? Nevermind the "path or footway" debate - it
>> would be nice to have paths rendered (they can be rendered the same
>> as footways, as far as I'm concerned). Anyway, I checked Tagwatch for
>> Germany and it has some 17,000 paths, so it's not totally unused.
>
> How about if you want them rendered you tag them with the standard
> tagging of highway=footway that we've been using for the last several
> years and which mapnik already supports?
>
> It's no use saying "never mind the debate". By that logic I could
> announce that in future I'm going to tag all motorways as
> "highway=frog" and demand that people "never mind the debate" and just
> render highway=frog as a motorway.
>
> Tom

Ok, but is there anywhere in OSM world a law that says "use footways and
not paths"? Aren't we constantly reiterating the fact that tagging is
"democratic"? Isn't there a description of "highway=path" on Map
Features page?

I don't see a reason (and I don't intend to continue) the debate about
this issue. I was merely asking when/if this feature will be rendered in
Mapnik. And I didn't announce any plans to use or disuse this tag.

Best regards,
Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net