Hi Ben,

Am Freitag, 7. November 2008 schrieben Sie:
> On Thursday 06 November 2008, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > JOSM "could" be extended to ask in the install : are you mapping in
> > > Germany or in Italy ?
> > >
> > > If germany, a track could be recorded as :
> > > highway=track
> > > motorcar=no
> > >
> > > In Italy, a track could be recorded as :
> > > highway=track
> > > motocar=yes
> >
> > I like this idea of having country specific presets in the editors
> > instead of having renderers to be country sprecific.
>
> It's way too late for that for tags like highway=track. Access rules are
> already heavily country dependent (highway=trunk allowing pedestrians
> and bicycles or not for example; access=destination implying that
> cyclists and horse drivers always have access in some countries,
> destination traffic or not). The same with for example default maximum
> speeds.
>
> Tagging these default rules will be a nightmare if it's at some point
> decided in country X to change the rules.

Good point. But I am wondering how often that happens.
How many of these rule changes do you remember in the past for your country
which would have affected osm tagging heavily?

> You don't know anymore
> whether the tag is there because it was added as default from JOSM or
> another editor, or because it was explicitly signed
>
> The way some country specific tags could work is to translate a concept
> from that country (e.g. an "express road" which may be something
> completely different in different countries and would need other tags).

I am hesitant with different definitions/defaults in the meantime. I could
imaging that a map in the future allows beyond showing the rendered data to
let me see all tags on a way. If I travel into another country, it is a
nightmare to read just plain tags (not talking about editing....).

Greetings,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch