Thanks for the response. The area in question is land that usually is near a
county or state park in the U.S. Usually the area will be about the size of a
regular park or a little larger. Sometimes the borders of the land could be
touching the park borders. This land is general purpose land, i.e. hiking,
biking, horse riding etc. The area doesn't include dense trees, so there is no
logging or anything. It's pretty much set aside for its natural beauty. The
specific land I was looking at was in California listed under
openspaceauthority.org. Thanks.

--

Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] open space land

May I ask which country that's in? For example in the US (where I am) there are
several different types of open space land. National Forests, National Parks,
State Parks, State Forests to name a few. All of those have different
regulations when it comes to land use (whether you can cut wood, etc.) for
example. leisure = park may not automatically apply to all of them.

Now this is in the US. I know that Germany has, for example, state and national
forests which are typically much more groomed than US national forests. Back
when I lived in one of them (I'm not even kidding) at the end of the 90s, they
appeared to be more like really large parks than forests, at least to my North
American eye. I would personally see it fit to tag those as leisure = park, but
don't take this for advice as I don't map stuff in Germany and german mappers
would obviously know better.

So before giving more precise opinions, I would say we would have to know which
jurisdiction you are in, what those open space land actually look like and how
they're actually used.

My two cents.

Charles