Hi everybody,
I'm sure this has been discussed in length before, but I cannot seem
to find a good way to search the archives. Anyway, I will present my
thoughts here and you can respond or be quiet :)

I'm trying to fix at least two issues I have.

a) A way that is sort of one-way but allows buses and taxis in the
opposite direction.

Don't know how to tag them, currently I've just ignored buses and
taxis and tagged them oneway=yes.

b) 2+1 ways as we call them in Sweden, they are normal ways but have a
small fence in the middle and 2 lanes on one side and 1 lane on the
other side. They look like this:
http://www.vv.se/filer/Vägprojekt/3-Falt.jpg

Now, I want a good way to tag them, and using lanes, you can maybe say
lanes=3, or lanes=2+1, lanes=2,1, lanes=1+2, lanes=1,2, ... but how to
interpret that. I'd rather not resort to mapping these as two ways, as
they are in effect one way, just preventing head on collision. They
have crossings like a normal road, no ramps, acceleration fields, etc.

I would like a more general mechanism, but yet simple. I propose
something like this

forward:lanes=2 backward:lanes=1
(for the sake of the renderer you could also specify lanes=3)

The forward: and backward: prefix potentially applies to any key on a
way (because it needs direction. So, a) above would be oneway=yes (or
backward:access=no), backward:psv=yes, lanes=1.

There are a few directional tags already in osm:
oneway=yes would be equivalent to backward:access=no
cycleway=opposite_lane would be equivalent to backward:cycleway=lane
footway=both/left/right/none would be [forward:/backward:]footway=lane/yes etc

The advantage of having a simple tagging mechanism like this is that
the editors can easily prevent accidental reversal of a way, like josm
does right now with oneway. There are probably other uses for this
kind of scheme. And it doesn't really fit into a relation either.

Thanks,

Martin