On 01/12/2008 13:45, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> 2008/12/1 David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> On 01/12/2008 12:40, Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>> Does the namefinder use any postcodes that have been added to node or
>>> ways in the osm data?
>> No: see my earlier reply to someone else who asked exactly the same
>> question.
>>

> I'm guessing what's confusing people is where you're getting the
> postcode data from.
>
> So just quickly, that's:
>
>  - full post code search: Google search on postcode looking for
> address -> Namefinder search on address

Correct. And there's three potential pitfalls there: (a) the postcode
simply isn't listed, (b) it is listed but the address with it is wrong
or misleading, (c) I am unable to parse the accompanying address or
perhaps worse I parse it wrongly.

>  - prefix search, or post code used as area limiter:
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/namefinder/postcodeprefix.sql
>
> The only question remaining being, where does that SQL file come from?
> NPE maps, free the postcode etc I presume?

Correct (though I added the names of the post towns by web searching
where I didn't know them anyway).

David