How about covering your area with land use data using yahoo/landsat?
It's something I do occasionally at the end of the work day when I'm
totally exhausted - it's a nice dumb work which helps my brain turn off.
And it comes handy for various hiking maps (example of my area:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=46.5045&lon=15.534&zoom=12&layers=0B00FTF).

Anyway, I find mapping footpaths in forests much more interesting than
plain old residential streets and roads - fewer people tend to cover
them and sometimes it turns out be a real adventure - getting lost or
meeting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wild_Boar_Habbitat_3.jpg

Not to mention the health benefits ;)

Igor

http://igorbrejc.net