Hi,

> But meanwhile - mostly because it is so easy to do in JOSM - many people
> simply tag the whole shebang (addr:country, addr:town, addr:post_code,
> addr:street, addr:house_number) onto every house node.

though I attended the workshop where we developed the scheme, I think we
meanwhile could do better. Using the proposal of a street relation[1], we
could easily make linking housenames to streets much more robust and
reliable. Just add the nodes with the house names to those relations.
Counting them in the planet file shows a significant amount:
bzcat relations-latest.osm.bz2 | grep -i 'tag k="type" v="street"' | wc -l
1767

I just posted an example:
http://www.christeck.de/wp/?p=131

I also put it as a proposal to the wiki. If it's not appreciated, feel free to
edit it[2] :) .

HTH & best regards,

ce

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Collected_Ways