On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 03:58:26PM +0100, Gustav Foseid wrote:

> Are those really terms for Google Earth and not for Google Maps? I get a
> Norwegian translation on that URL, that does not mention Google Earth at
> all.

The English version is clearly titled as I have already indicated
“Google Maps/Earth Terms of Service”.  The main page heading says
“Google Maps/Google Earth Terms and Conditions”.  The first paragraph
begins:

    “By downloading, installing, or using the Google Earth software,
    accessing or using the Google Maps service (together, the "Products"
    or "Services"), or accessing or using any of the content available
    within the Products, you agree to be bound by […]”

See[1].  That’s clear enough to me, but maybe we should get Google to
clarify these terms, and ensure other languages are also up‐to‐date?

[1]: http://bleah.co.uk/~simon/stuff/osm/google_maps_earth_terms.png

> These are the terms I have found for Google Earth:
> http://earth.google.com/intl/en-US/license.html

That mainly covers the Google Earth software and not much about the
content.

> These mention that you can only use the images in the Software, which I
> understand to allow tracing as long as it is done with the Google Earth
> trace tool.

Copyright doesn’t give anyone but the copyright holder permission
(except maybe fair use/dealing) to copy/derive from works by default, so
the lack of anything explicit with regards to tracing does not mean you
can do so.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall