On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:53 AM, D Tucny <d...@tucny.com> wrote:
> As I see it, the default render shouldn't be English, it should be using the
> local name of each location/object...

I would consider an exception for state names and possibly very big
cities, if mapnik could be able to build the label from different
tags, it would be nice to have "name (name:en)" on those.

The data should remain separated in the two tags, however, using name
= "Local Name (English Name)" sounds like tagging for the renders

> The one exception I see, which I'm not sure on how best to handle, is
> countries that have multiple official languages and as such, multiple
> official names... I believe this to be the case at least with Belgium and
> Switzerland for example where there are multiple valid local names depending
> on the language used in a certain part of the country (plus latin for
> Switzerland)...

I believe that the official Swiss name is the latin one, exactly to
solve this issue, but I'm not sure that all of the countries with more
than one official language have a standard official name like them.

--
Elena of Valhalla

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org
email: elena.valha...@gmail.com