On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
<ava...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I've read that on some Garmin units you can press a given button for a
> set period of time to have it dump a screenshot to its SD card. But I
> haven't found out how to do this for my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.
>
> Garmin has a utility called ximage which can do this, but I don't use
> win32, it doesn't run under Wine and I would rather do this without
> proprietary software anyway:
>
> http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545
>
> The device's manual doesn't specify any key combo. So is there any way
> to retrieve a screenshot of its screen under *nix?

The new Garmin Oregon and Colorado units can take a screenshot by pressing
the power button (if properly configured), but as far as I know, xImage is
the only way to grab a screenshot from the older units. So, unless someone
has reverse-engineered the protocol for extracting images (doubtful) and
then written a *nix compatible utility, xImage is the only way you'll be
able to do it.

Karl