Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com> writes:

> First of all, you should NEVER remove anything from the database, unless
> you have made certain by your own eye that the object in question is an
> error and not existing in reality! Even than take care not to remove
> anything marked as abandoned or alike, that marks this object was once
> here and the info is kept for historical reasons.

Yes, renderers and other applications can then choose whether they
want to use that information or not.

> Here in germany we are simply not asking if something should be
> included! People in densely mapped areas are starting to map single
> trees and litter bins - not all of us doing so, but that's not the point
> here.
>
> How this should be tagged depends on what's on the ground. Please have a
> look at: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features
>
> It indicates to use highway=service together with service=driveway.
>
> Funnily enough, I don't have a clear understanding what a driveway
> actually is, seems to be an american english specific term?

It's typically a piece of pavement that connects the road with peoples
garage door.  Of course, the pavement and the garage are optional.

In German I would probably say "Grundstückseinfahrt".

Matthias