(Drat; sent it from the wrong address. You might get two copies.)

Joe Gerlach wrote:
> If there are any projects or schemes which would not be bothered by having a
> student tagging along and getting involved, please let me know. Ideally it
> would be get to know a project from its inception to its completion, but I
> would be keen to get to know existing projects as well. I hope the research
> would help provide more visibility for such open-source projects which are
> becoming ever more important and relevant to the way we map space.

There's one happening in Oxford right now, which started recently:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Oxford/Cyclox_map_2009 . It's
partially underway right now, with "cake slices" - hopefully bite-sized
tasks - having been handed out to people interested in building up our
view of the city. Couple of meetings and rough consensus: it's enough to
build on.

The goal of this project is perhaps best described as "data addition/
local activism / specific focus" with some attempt to reach out in a
low-tech fashion while trying to keep the process fast-moving and
adaptable. I'm not sure the "paper-based" mapping approach has been
tried for OSM before, TBH, or whether it'll be successful but if we
fail, we fail faster and we'll get to try out better approaches sooner.

Future events will be announced at http://upcoming.org/ , on the page
above, and via the cyclox-forum mailing list at
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclox-forum/ . All the events are open
to some degree, so feel free to come along and participate.

--
Andrew Chadwick