we also have the twitter account, which could be added as a widget on
opengeodata.org/blog.openstreetmap.org

________________________________
From: 80n <80n...@gmail.com>
To: OJ W <ojwli...@googlemail.com>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:29:28 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] "News blog" link - to blogs.openstreetmap.org?

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM, OJ W <ojwli...@googlemail.com> wrote:

The OSM front page has a "news blog" link - should that go to
http://blogs.openstreetmap.org/ rather than
http://www.opengeodata.org/ ?  (gives more of an idea what's happening
in the project, and still shows all the opengeodata stories)

I've been wondering why the official OSM blog is at opengeodata.org rather than
at blog.openstreetmap.org (sic).  Perhaps it's just historical, unless there's
some logic to it that I'm not aware of.  It must be confusing for newcomers,
and for the press, that major OSM announcements are made on a site that is
apparently unconnected to the project.

So, what makes opengeodata.org the official OpenStreetMap blog anyway?  It's
linked prominently on the OSM front page.  Who contributes to it?  I have an
account there and most posts appear to be from OSMF board members but I don't
know if all board members have an account and in the past there have been posts
from non-board members as well.

The wiki page has also developed its own news panel which contains briefer but
more community centric entries.  OJW pointed out, blogs.openstreetmap.org which
is a consolidation of community blogs.

To complete the picture, the domain opengeodata.org is registered personally in
Steve's name.  opengeodata.com is also a registered domain.  It is not clear
who owns it, but it redirects to openstreetmap.nl, so it's a reasonable
assumption that it is owned by someone in the Dutch OSM community.

Considering all of this, there seems to be scope for reorganisation to make
things a bit more logical.

So who's got any ideas or suggestions?

80n