Hi all,
Having 'gotten into' cross country skiing this winter I have been mapping the
trails at our local spot, however OpenPisteMap is not quite working as I would
expect.

I have tagged the trails a 'highway=footway' and 'piste:type=nordic' as these
trails are multi-use; cycling and walking in the summer and groomed cross
country trails in the winter.

At present OPM does not render these as ski-trails. Is this the correct way to
tag this situation, or can someone suggest a better method?

OPM (no contours):
http://openpistemap.org/?lon=-114.60574&lat=49.66878&zoom=15&layers=0B00

Osmarender:
http://openpistemap.org/?lon=-114.60574&lat=49.66878&zoom=15&layers=000B

Also there is no mention of the following on the OpenPisteMap wiki page
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Piste_Maps):

1) Direction of Way: I assume that 'forward' is meant as 'generally downhill'
as the 'piste:type=downhill' implies one-way.

2) Steep Sections: Is there a method of marking a steep section? The maps
posted on site
(http://www.crowsnestguide.com/allisonwonderlands/allisonmap.html) draw a
little '|---' line next to the trail at the appropriate places. This could be
marked with a short way marked 'piste:steep=yes'. Where this is against the
general direction of the way should we reverse the way or use a 'up/down' or
'forward/backward' tagging (ie. 'piste:steep=backward')?

If there are no objections, I could/will add the above to the wiki page.

Finally, is there an simple way to extract/note elevations from a GPX file in
JOSM? Yes I know that GPS elevation is not that accurate. But it's something
that would be useful and I'm using a professional/survey grade receiver as the
forest trails are rather hard to get lock with my handheld.

I would like to add a 'ele=xxx' tag to the markers tag at the junction of the
trails to give some indication of height gain/loss between markers. This would
enable a person unfamiliar with the trail to gain a sense of the workout they
are about to get....

Cheers,
Mungewell.