Torsten Mohr <tmohr <at> s.netic.de> writes:

> Hello Jukka,
>
> that looks very interesting!  Thanks a lot!
>
> With a query like:
>
> select * from planet_osm_line where boundary is not null and name like
> 'Schleswig%' LIMIT 100;
>
> I get exactly one entry with heaps of data, seems it represents Schleswig-
> Holstein, a federal state.
>
> Seems it needs some refinement, it doesn't seem to work for "Bayern"
> or some others.  But those seem to be in "planet_osm_polygon" then.
>
> Is there a way to create a ShapeFile from these data?
>
> Or something i can import into QGIS?

Hi,

QGis and OpenJUMP have native PostGIS drivers so there is no need to import data
into those but you can do all database queries directly from the user interface.
 You can also edit the osm2pgsql defaults to import tags which are not imported
with standard settins.  I believe this could solve also your other problem with
shorelines.  Add tag natural=coastline in the list of features to be imported
and you should have no need to play with the shapefiles any longer.

If you still want to create shapefiles from PostGIS, then ogr2ogr, open source
alternative for the famous FME program, is your tool, . Only thing that it is
missing is a driver for reading osm xml format directly.

-Jukka-