Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>> I have Freemap Mobile in development ...  I also aim
>> to add full POI support (what's the nearest pub to you? etc) and
>> in-the-field reporting of path problems, which kind-of works at the
moment
>> but again needs some work.
>>
>> It's available at http://www.free-map.org.uk/downloads/ - use at own
risk!

>Sounds useful - but free-map coverage seems to be a bit limited (i.e.
>just contours shown most places that I've zoomed in.  Is there any
>information on what the coverage actually is?

It covers the majority of England and Wales, but the areas near London,
Manchester and Birmingham are excluded, so as not to overload the server;
also some eastern and far western areas are excluded (though these could
easily be added in). The best coverage is central southern England and
Oxfordshire/Cotswolds, plus the M6 corridor north of Birmingham to the
Scottish border (but excluding Birmingham/Manchester) and north Wales.
Much of the Peak District (away from Manchester) is included as well as
much of the Yorkshire Dales. I was trying to pick a combination of popular
outdoor areas and well-mapped areas.

However a list member has given me some alternative server space without
these omissions. For a reason at present unknown I cannot get it to show
contours (yet) and also it does not yet include the interactive features,
e.g. ability to annotate the map. This is available at
http://tilesrv.sucs.org/~nickw/.

Nick