In my part of Australia, we have a speed limit that applies to every
non-rural street that is not specifically signed as being another
speed - basically case (b) below.  The wording used in the law is
"built up area".  (In practice, the test for a "built up area" seems
to be "does it have street lights?".)

Unfortunately, if that is the best they could come up with for that,
then there probably isn't a good English word that covers it. Urban is
close, but has connotations of the city centre, not the suburbs or
villages.  I think it's probably going to be the best, though.

Stephen