On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Lauris Bukšis-Haberkorns
<lafr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to ask how I should better import city and region borders.
> I contacted Latvia geospatial information agency and they sent me
> newest data and allowed to import them into OSM. Only thing they asked
> for was that there is reference to them and they agreed that specially
> created user (http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/L%C4%A2IA) that I
> would do import with is fully enough. My main concern is should I
> import data as is or optimize this data as they are quite detailed?
> Also each region border is one separate polygon. Should I merge
> neighbour region nodes and import seperate border lines or again
> should I leave data as is?

there is a "general" consensus on using relations for this type of
data: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Boundaries

at least some countries have done this.

a way for every border, cut where it meets any other border then
tagged accordingly and but in a relation with all the other way of the
same kind (i.e. all the ways that make up the border of a single
municipality).

--
-S