The essential thing of my proposal (however it be implemented)

is that NOTHING changes with the current software or apps.

A standard request will just deliver the current state of the map.

The API will filter out all "deleted" (just as now) and additionally all

object that have a valid_per tag that evaluates to false (new).

If you think about it, deleted just means:  valid_per= false per today

Then new apps could make use to request tot the API exact the

time span as required.

Send me all tracks valid on 2009 til 2021, because I want to map my town before

the new quarter was put in place of the old one.

JOSM might request "CURRENT + FUTURE" to let people edit future stuff.

Editing deleted data could be enabled for the date of deletion only,

we cannot delete data if we want to keep history. Just

the data becomes invalid per deletion date. The date

depends on the day someone finds a superfluous object, but

may be changed if he knows the exact date it was removed.

The bus routing planner might request all data

valid on Monday morning between 9 and 12 so as

the user is presented the right route the bus will take that morning.

If next week the bus route will change, the relations describing

a route  can be edited in advance

by editing new  ones and enable them on a future date.

Of course this is not manual editing anymore. it may be too

complex to really keep the valid_per tag meaningful

by editing by hand with 100K+ usrs. But in the future

we will mass import many public databases, and they may

be tagged accordingly on the date of import.

The  valid_per data needs not be implemented in OSM

but can be retrieved from a separate "bus routing" database,

where the OSM data just tell the user where to find "valid_per"

data.

I , just like Peter, do not see how problems in mixed data

(the roman way) could get in the way, as nothing is deleted,

just becomes invalid for standard application.

Gert Gremmen

Openstreetmap.nl  (alias: cetest)

P Before printing, think about the environment.