Mario Salvini wrote:
> Richard Fairhurst schrieb:
>> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> In my eyes, that road would be simply tagged with highway=cycleway.
>>>
>> plus designation=cycleroad
>>
>> cheers
>> Richard
>>
> is there a benefit instead of just tagging these ways:
> highway=cycleway + motor_vehicle=yes ?
>
> cycleway just told, that's this way is bicycle=designated.
> So why designation=?

Because it can be bicycle=designated without being a bicycle boulevard.
 Consider Vancouver, BC's Highway 99 through downtown.  It's the
designated route for north/south bicycle traffic, and bicycles typically
get their own lane (usually second or third away from the curb, even, to
avoid blindside conflicts with bus and taxi traffic!), but such a way
would NOT be a bicycle boulevard, as motorists aren't generally
discouraged by turn restrictions to leave the way every few blocks.

Portland and Seattle (and likely elsewhere) mappers would be familiar
with this concept as originally conceived in the 1970s, as a popular
design for downtown transit malls (except there aren't any bus turnouts
along the curb, and replace the busses with bicycles).