Richard Mann wrote:
> This is a request for comments on the proposal for a new
> Key:designation. Hopefully it's had it's rough edges removed already,
> but I would appreciate your comments.
>
> Richard
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Designation

I'm opposed; this seems like a duplication of effort for what route
relations are currently for, and creates redundancy and overlap in scope
with the service= and highway= tags.  As such, this really sounds like a
step in the wrong direction.  Perhaps expanding the service= tags and
getting the mapnik and osmarender we use on the slippymap to render
these things instead of route tags on the underlying ways when the
underlying way is a member of a route=road relation.

The cyclemap is getting this right; but strangely, none of the other
renderers.  And it's not like it would be that hard to get that fixed;
someone's already rendering road relations complete with correct highway
badges already.

http://weait.com/maps/?zoom=11&lat=43.14469&lon=-79.17383&layers=0B0