Mario Salvini wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer schrieb:
>> 2009/6/10 Shaun McDonald <sh...@shaunmcdonald.me.uk>:
>>
>>> In my eyes, that road would be simply tagged with highway=cycleway.
>>>
>> there are some main differences though: usually they are normal
>> streets changed in designation. That is cars are allowed but don't
>> have the priority and must drive very slowly, they have
>> pavements/sidewalks, they are wide like streets, the give priority to
>> bicycles on crossings, etc. all of which is not the case for
>> cycleways.
>>
>> Martin
>>
> yes, it's all about designation. "normal roads" are designated for
> motor_vehicles. But these roads are only designated for bicycles.
> That's why it's highway=cycleway + motor_vehicle=yes (instead of an
> implied motor_vehicle=designated for "normal roads".

A designated route would be one where there's signs specifically
suggesting a way as a preferred route; no such implied designation
exists (access=designated is NOT the default).  It simply means the way
is the designated route for a particular class (such as
emergency=designated for Disaster Response Routes in Canada).

bicycle=designated would simply mean the jurisdiction in question has
installed "bike route" signs, regardless of accomodations made.  Salem
has quite a few designated bicycle routes, only one could be construed
to be a bicycle boulevard, but no special accomodation for cyclists has
been made (ie, on-street parking still exists, 4-way stops along the
designated route have not been changed to 2-way stops favoring the
designated route, etc.)  I can even think of a couple motorways in the
pacific northwest that would qualify for bicycle=designated (US-26
between downtown's Canyon Road and Beaverton's Canyon Road; the Trans
Canada Highway north of Saanich, BC; the Trans Canada Highway west of
North Vancouver, parts of Washington's I5...)