2009/5/13 Jon Burgess <jburgess...@googlemail.com>

> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 22:12 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > 2009/5/13 Ivo van den Maagdenberg <ivo.vdmaagdenb...@gmail.com>:
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > This is some sort of quality of service question. Half of all the tiles
> on
> > > http://www.openstreetmap.org render as 'more OSM coming soon'. I want
> > > know if I am doing something wrong (Ubuntu 8.10 + firefox 3.0 +
> reasonable
> > > hardware)
> >
> > The tiles display this in the case of network troubles where the
> > server isn't reachable, they're also displayed if the tile hasn't yet
> > been rendered (and is present on the server's disk) and when it's not
> > possible to render on the fly. Otherwise, the tile is added to the
> > render queue and should be available at some point shortly in the
> > future.
> >
> > > Showing OSM to a friend that has not seen 'the Map' does not give a
> good
> > > impression this way. A solution is to implement some sort of double
> > > buffering where the old tiles are kept for display until the new one
> has
> > > properly rendered? Well, that's maybe impossible, but it would improve
> the
> > > responsiveness of the http://www.openstreetmap.org at the moment.
> >
> > I believe this is already the case.
>
> There is a cache of tiles which is used when the rendering can not keep
> up. The weekly planet import is running at the moment and I have
> temporarily turned of the re-rendering of tiles so you will only seeing
> tiles from the cache right now.
>
> I'm in the middle of making some updates to the server to migrate the
> cached tiles and rendering database to an external disk array which will
> speed things up quite a bit. All the old tiles should still be
> available, but the live rendering probably won't restart until some time
> tomorrow.

Strange thing, after a month things seem not to have improved much on the
frontpage for openstreetmap, with respect to the number of tiles being
rendered at a fairly reasonable place and zoom-level like:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.91&lon=-0.23&zoom=7&layers=B000FTF

In my browser it currently shows 4 out of 12 renderd tiles "... more OSM
coming soon". As mentioned before, I would like to raise some concern to
have at least rendered tiles available at all times. Especially now, it
seems things are broken to a noticable extent.

Is there something to do about this? Maybe not flush previous rendered tiles
until they are actually rerenderd on an another disklocation and when the
new tile is ready, copy it over the old tile to keep the update fairly
unnoticable. Then again, I am just guessing how the rendering takes place,
so this approach might be totally unpractical.

Looking trough the openlayer code reference by the map page, the tiles seem
to come from

var noname = new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM("NoName", [
      "http://a.tile.cloudmade.com/"; + nonamekey + "/3/256/",
      "http://b.tile.cloudmade.com/"; + nonamekey + "/3/256/",
      "http://c.tile.cloudmade.com/"; + nonamekey + "/3/256/"

Maybe there is a known bottleneck in infrastructure that makes the
tiles fail to be rendered?

Bye, Ivom