On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Matt Amos<zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Phil
> Endecott<spam_from_osm_t...@chezphil.org> wrote:
>>    "the icon has the same license as most other stuff in the OSM
>>    repository - GPLv2. [...]
> please use it. the use case you've described is perfectly in keeping
> with the intended use of the logo (i.e: it's relevant to OSM). what
> sort of license do you need?

he would need a (copyright) license to use GPL-covered work in a
non-GPL software, and this is what I guess you just gave, and a
trademark license to use a trademark that belongs to somebody else

> is your app closed-source?

I believe that the iPhone/iTunes store terms aren't really compatible
with opensource licenses, expecially copyleft ones

> just ignore the trademark stuff - no-one is going to sue you.

this is very bad advice: trademark owners are forced to sue people who
use their logo without authorization, or they risk losing it

>  the only
> reason to trademark the logo (and name) is to prevent them being
> abused. the evilness / incompetence (delete as appropriate) around the
> trademark transfer shouldn't prevent you from making good use of the
> logo.

and this is why most open source communities who own trademarks have
guidelines that give automatic permission to use the logo for what is
clearly not abuse, so that people can ignore the practicalities of
requesting permission and happily use it, while keeping said trademark
safe and available to prevent abuse.

Am I right believing that after the transfer issue is resolved, we are
going to get said guidelines, and it's mostly a matter of time?

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org
email: elena.valha...@gmail.com