Hi,

I am thinking about the possibility to render maps along rivers, bicycle
routes, etc. For this, a collection of thin elongated "bounding boxes",
which are not aligned with the cardinal directions and/or coordinate system
axes, but locally with the waterway or route, would be nice/appropriate.

Has anybody already experimented with such map rendering, or has any idea
how to implement this? Maybe some projection, which takes a rotation as
argument (and is supported by proj4)? I am usually working with a
postgis/mapnik-based environment.

Cutting and rotating a "normal" map would of course not be appropriate,
because (beside possible loss of quality) the labels would not be horizontal
any more ...

So far my best guess to achieve this would be to import a small extract of
the relevant region into separate osm2pgsql db-tables, and manually
transform (by code before import, or maybe by sql after the import) the
coordinates by a given angle around a selected rotation point. Does that
sound realistic?

Yours,
--
Holger Schoener         nume...@ancalime.de