On 07/28/2009 11:45 AM, Christoph Böhme wrote:
> According to Wikipedia "clearance" [1] is the free space between a
> vehicle and the structure (i.e. bridge) it is passing through. The
> maximum height (and width) of the vehicle is -- at least for railways --
> called "loading gauge" [2] while the dimensions of the structure are
> called "structure gauge [3]. Thus, what we find on signs is the loading
> gauge.

It may also be worth mentioning that there's another meaning of
"clearance" when referring to vehicles: that of the free space beneath a
vehicle (ground clearance).  So it would seem that "clearance" always
refers to "free space below" -- meaning that it's the bridge's clearance
that is marked.  This does not contradict that it is also the loading
gauge of the vehicles passing underneath it...

-Alex Mauer "hawke"