2009/7/30 Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl>:
> Lennard wrote:
>
>> Exactly, it's a moot point, and I included it mostly to make the point
>> that there are so many subtle ways to handle maxspeed, that it would be
>> difficult to make an all-encompassing tagging scheme. At some point,
>> you'll just have to go with a generalized solution.
>
> The general solution is "maxspeed is the highest of the maxspeeds of all
> classes of vehicle on that road".
> See also the signs we have in continental europe when you enter a country:
> there is usually a large sign specifying the maximum speeds on different roads
> (within town, outside town, motorway). I have never seen a different sign for
> mopeds, HGV's or vehicles with a caravan, it is always the maximum for all
> vehicles.

no, you're wrong. It's the maxspeed for normal cars. Drivers of
different vehicles must inform themselves about local legislation when
driving in another country. For bicycles in Germany I can tell you
that general maxspeeds don't apply to them.

And obviously you're also not travelling to Poland, otherwise you
would have seen this sign:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Speedlimitsinpoland.png/424px-Speedlimitsinpoland.png

cheers,
Martin