On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Roy Wallace<waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Blaž Lorger<blaz.lor...@triera.net> wrote:
>> To my knowledge there is no such thing as usual highway width. There are
>> certain standards for width of newly built roads, but those usually increase
>> over time, which means you will be forced to periodically reevaluate *ALL*
>> "narrow" tagging.
>
> +1

I'm not sure that the width of what we consider unclassified roads
will double in the next century.

>> Having actual road width is always more useful than having just some
>> subjective estimate whether road is too narrow or not. Besides rendering you
>> can use it to improve routing based on actual vehicle width/size.
>
> +1.
>> some subjective factor is inevitable, but at least it should be kept as low
>> as
>> possible.
>
> +1
>
> Tagging width=* is more faithful to what actually exists on the
> ground, which is always the better long term approach. And the meaning
> is much clearer than narrow=*, especially for those who only skim the
> wiki.

I never mentionned narrow=* but narrow=yes, where did you see narrow=* ?

> Also, width=* interacts nicely with lanes=* - from these two tags you
> can see the width of the entire way, and also calculate the width of
> each lane. Whereas with narrow=*, it's not quite as clear whether this
> refers to narrow lanes or a narrow way...

Why don't you think width is for a lane ? oh, ok it is documented on the wiki.
Again, width is not less subjective because it is always estimated
(deprecating est_width just hides this point), it is missing in most
of the highways, it is changing continuously along the roads and a
width of 6 meters does not say if an hgv can pass or not, it will
never replace the access restriction tags.
Pieren