Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> Bear in mind that the highway tags aren't meant
>> to be a sliding scale of importance, or follow a strict hierarchy.
>
> -1. I would contradict this for streets.

I would correct that. Roads that form the main road network have a scale of
importance - yes - but once we drop below that infrastructure, all the
remaining ways should be considered as equal, and personally *I* include
tertiary in that. So residential, service and probably even track as well as
unclassified are of equal importance when it comes to the main function of
moving vehicles from a to c. The argument about 'is way x better than way y'
where one is residential and one is unclassified is the mistake being made,
and I would still like some one the provide a situation where unclassified
would be used in an urban area which is by default 'residential/industrial' ?
Although the designation of 'green belt' within an urban area probably adds a
level of uncertainty :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL