First of all welcome! Always good to see new members of our ever growing
community :)

If you want to buy a GPS you might want to go with a Garmin since then you can
use OSM maps, which is awesome. However there are people here that know a lot
more about GPSes, which to buy, which to avoid. Also by searching on the wiki
you can find a lot of stuff.

According to you question about icons, OSM is, almost, complete anarchy. So
someone things of something creates an icon and it is done. So feel free to
create new images, a collective icon set would be awesome since it would
improve the overall look and feel of the map. Also maybe day/night icons etc
could be possible for navigation software or something.

I am not aware of any group in particular working on this, but I could be
wrong, so I guess it would be best to just create a place on the wiki and
start uploading nice (vector) images.

Regards,
--Roeland