On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:55 AM, John Smith<delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Wed, 12/8/09, Nop <ekkeh...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Well basically your approach is a variant of the path+acess
>> tags. You
>> just leave cycleway alone and use it like path, expressing
>> all the
>> important information in access tags. This is a possible
>> way to go if we
>> can achieve consent on it, especially on the new tag
>> "offical" which is
>> required to express the legal road-signed status.
>
> No it's not, use bicycle=designated like someone else suggested for
> indicating explicitly what is on a sign, bicycle=yes if it's suitable/allowed
> etc.

It seems that the word "designated" has different interpretations and
that's a point to clarify on the wiki. For me, "designated" means
"with road sign".
Note that in France, pedestrians are not allowed on cycleways. I don't
see why we should add "foot=no" now in all cycleways in France. I read
somewhere that some motorways  in US gives access to bicycles. Does it
mean that we have to add "bicycle=no" to all other motorways in the
world ?

As said, when the way is designated for one mode of transport, then it
is easy to define a rule that everybody understand:
- only one road sign "designated for bicycle" : use highway=cycleway
- only one road sign "designated for pedestrian" : use highway=footway
For all other cases, use highway=path

Is that so complicated ?

When the cycleway gives access to pedestrians by local laws but it's
not expressed by a road sign, then add you
country/county/region/whatever in the list of implied values here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

For the German case, where the road sign is for both (bicycle and
foot) : use highway=path + bicycle=designated + foot=designated
as it is already suggested in the wiki
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath/Examples) (and
remove the highway=cycleway+foot=designated alternative because this
is exactly such things that create so much confusion).

Pieren