On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Craig Wallace <craig...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 12/08/2009 01:41, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> > This is where my national headache begins. (surface=smoothISH)
> >
> > If we simply have the default options to list 'gravel' 'dirt'
> > 'concrete', because 'unpaved' is rather ill-defined. It just indicates
> > 'paved_ash_fault=no', but doesn't go further.
> > 'cobblestone' is listed, which is great, as it describes what material
> > is used to permit whatever type of motion.
> Are you referring to the JOSM presets? As for some reason the only
> values they include for surface are paved / unpaved / cobblestone.
>
> If so, I would agree would that there should be some more options
> available, at least some of the common values, eg gravel, dirt, grass,
> concrete

Yes, that is exactly what i am referring too.
We ALSO need to have a special wiki page (that lists each of these things,
and how they are rendered, and used.   This will alleviate the problem.
Since these 3 or 6 other values are common, it should be easy to make pages
for each of them and put 'status=in use'.

Having these values (this goes with many other 'values') listed as just a
short description on a chart is not good enough.  Each value needs to be
properly defined, with rendering examples and pictures.   Otherwise, we can
continue talking about air, until the mars rovers stop working.

Cheers,
Sam