2009/8/28 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
> I actually think it leaves things in slightly better shape - like me
> tagging a post box outside, or tagging my addr:housenumber. Sure, it's

I'm not talking about post boxes or house addressing schemes, I'm
talking about being able to tag lanes on a way differently when things
are asymmetrical effect the way.

> a "half solution" to mapping the entire world, but this is OSM for
> goodness sake. You are right, though, that tagging things
> *ambiguously* does indeed leave things in worse shape - but that is
> certainly not what I am suggesting!

Tagging things badly can leave things worst than not tagging them too,
since if they aren't tagged it can be flagged that it needs to be
tagged.

> But anyway, you seem to be insisting that I not tag any stop signs
> until we have a solution to the "fundamental problem". I have no idea
> for that, unfortunately, but I'm all ears.

Actually no, you can still tag stop signs on a way like people always
have, then when lanes get sorted out they can be dealt with properly.
At a guess 99.999% of stop signs wouldn't be double sided so it would
be an easy transition to lanes almost automatically once something
gets sorted.