Lukasz Stelmach <stlman <at> poczta.fm> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I like mapping and I like gadgets (that's why I like mapping ;) I am
> considering purchase of a laser range finder. I think a cheap one like these
>
> http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=77-018
> http://www.bosch.de/start/content/language2/html/734_6098.htm

The first one is not laser rangefinder, it works by echoing an ultrasonic sound.
I would not recommend it for outdoor use.  The latter might be usable.  Fine but
quite expensive SOLO Field software has nice user interface for rangefinders.
There may be a demo available at http://www.tdsway.com/products/solo_field.  GPS
and rangefinder is a fine combination when surveying under canopy.  Why not also
for mapping buildings in street canyons. GPS measument is taken where satellite
fix is OK and the rest is corrected by a rangefinder. Professional rangefinders
have also electronic compass for giving the direction of correction.