Peter Childs wrote:
 > If we had an application, that could read osm and render on the fly
 > we could have any zoom level we like, including zoom levels
 > between zoom levels, (ie vector graphics)
 >
 > In theory Potlatch already does some of this, buts it written to enter
 > data not render the map, so its not the purpose it was meant for.

Potlatch 2 will have a fully-fledged rendering engine with stylesheets
and everything.

This bit's already written and you can try it at:
        http://www.geowiki.com/halcyon/

There's also a similar, JavaScript-driven rendering engine called Cartagen:
        http://www.cartagen.org/

And if you're on Windows, Kosmos is worth looking at.

cheers
Richard