Steve Bennett wrote:
> Why? Primarily as a landmark, I would think. The fact that there is a
> median strip is more important, relatively, than that there is a
> median strip which is 83cm wide, surfaced in terracotta pavers
> overgrown with moss...
>
> Anyway, to back up slightly here, the benefits of this proposal are:
> - much simpler and faster entry of minor divided roads
> - better rendering at little cost
> - cleaner data structure that better reflects what we're trying to map
>
> The downsides are:
> - less specificity of the width of the division
>
> Are there other downsides I'm missing? Could you explain the lack of
> generality argument - what cases can't it handle, and why is this
> important?

The basic decision has to be at what level you switch between macro and micro
mapping. If the feature is so small, is there any need to describe it in a
complex series of tags ( assuming lots of gaps down a short road )? As soon as
you move to a mapping zoom that can display he fine detail, then an area detail
is required anyway. One of the examples provided was a simple 'U' - with the
detail provided, one assumes a continuous dividing structure, with one way
movement around the whole length. If there are gaps in the divide, then those
should be indicated, with links or additional tags, but if the divide is just
the odd bollard then it would be better drawn as a single dead end road anyway?
This is more than adequate for routing purposes, and any finer detail really
needs the areas of all of the parts that make up the roadway?

At what point to you switch from 'dual carriageway' to 'divided road' ?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL