On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I gather the convention is to mark any unsurveyed road which one has some
> information as simply "highway=road", on the basis that you know nothing
> else about it.

Looking at the highway tagging guidelines for Australia (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway), I don't see anything that isn't
in aerial imagery, except for the A/B/C designation in states that use that
classification.

That said, I personally find the highway tagging guidelines difficult to
apply anyway.  In states without formal legal road classifications we might
as well mark everything except motorways and service roads as "road" for all
I can tell.  Anything else is just tagging for the renderer.