Hi!

Am 31.12.2009 14:29, schrieb Anthony:
> Maybe, but while the "supply of people willing to become mappers" is
> limited, it isn't fixed.  I took a quick look at GMM, and it looks to me
> like it's not a bad introductory class for potential OSM contributors.
> GMM doesn't offer anywhere near as many features as OSM, and given their
> business model it seems unlikely to me that they ever will.  And then,
> even if they do, there would be nothing stopping someone from
> contributing to OSM and then importing their contributions additionally
> into GMM.

I believe that GMM can be a serious competition to OSM if it is simpler
to use, easier to learn and thus more inviting to the casual newcomer.

With GMM you have one way of mapping a simple item e.g. a bicycle track.
Everybody can do it in ten minutes, no questions arise.

With OSM you have two major tools, a huge load of tags, a wiki, a forum,
several mailing lists, three different answers to the question, long
discussions, pages of contradictory documentation, plenty of old
discussions and after working through all this, you realize that the
question has not been resolved yet.

I can see how many people would prefer the simple way offered by Google.

bye
        Nop