An other practical alternative: Leave the exact definition of line
segments undefined (as Frederik suggests). Then tag "straight" ways as
"straight"="great circle" or "straight"="lattitude" or what ever. And
then tag the redundant nodes as "redundant"="yes".

Egil

Egil Hjelmeland wrote:
> Egil Hjelmeland wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to change the subject line.
>> I think it does not hurt to define the exact meaning of a
>> line-segment in OSM. And I think that great circle (in wgs84) is the
>> natural choice, in stead of defining line to be straight relative to
>> some arbitrary projection.
>>
>> Since the API (for performance reasons) can not return line segments
>> with endpoint outside the bounding box, we (at least for some time)
>> have to live with adding redundant nodes for every x km for
>> great-circle lines. Then I suggest that the purists may add a tag
>> "redundant"="y" to the redundant nodes.
>>
>> To Frederik's concern about mappers getting confused about what a
>> straight line is:  I guess that there is only a tiny fraction of the
>> mappers that ever will come across very long line segments. I suppose
>> more than half of them can do it right in the first place if it is
>> properly described on the Wiki. (Particulary state that a line of
>> lattitude is not a Great circle, except for equator). And the other
>> cases can be corrected by others who understands the concept of a
>> great circle. That is the beauty of wiki-style mapping.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Egil
>>

>>> Message: 6
>>> Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 09:58:20 -0500
>>> From: Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] New "Highways" view in OSM Inspector
>>> To: Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>
>>> Cc: OSM Talk <talk@openstreetmap.org>
>>>

>>>   We were discussing what exactly a straight line was. There is no
>>> such   thing as a "straight line in the database", because, as you
>>> correctly   state, the database only stores the end points of a
>>> line. If you draw a   line from point lat=10;lon=10 to
>>> lat=30;lon=30, then it is unclear   whether that line visits point