2010/1/12 Simone Cortesi <sim...@cortesi.com>

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 20:47, David Paleino <da...@debian.org> wrote:
> > In Italy JPs are "something like a judge", and notary has the same
> > meaning as the one Serge pointed out for France (i.e. part of the
> > Judiciary, not an attorney, but needed for legally binding things)
>
> Being this OSM all about geodata, and being the fact that a public
> notary is located somewhere inside a given country.
>
> Wouldnt this suffice to explain to the user which kind of service is
> being offered there?
>
> i.e. if i see a notary in france i will automatically know this is
> different from the australian one
>
> likewise this goes on for bars and newspaper kiosks around the world
> (they do not sell same products all over the world)

I agree completely with you here. I think it would be foolish to assume that
because the tag is the same that it is identical across the world. Whether
we like or not, there will be always some interpretation on what a tag means
based on the country where it is. In the case of the notary, I will not go
and see one in Italy without knowing a bit of the legal system in Italy.
It is a fallacious argument to say that because the tag is the same, it
should be the same thing and therefore could result in confusion.
Information is always context sensitive. I believe that if you are dumb
enough to take tags at the first degree, you deserve what happens to you.
We always talk about normalizing data, but people always seems to forget
that context is important in the end. Having context tables for some tags
will always be necessary in the end. I am glad to see for example such a
table for administrative boundaries, as the administrative layers across the
world are very different. At least with the table, I can understand what is
going on.

Emilie Laffray