On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Simone Cortesi <sim...@cortesi.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 17:07, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
>> You may be seeing the earthquake damage, since it damaged or collapsed
>> thousands of buildings, and may well have caused some coastal changes via
>> landslides, the raising or lowering of land, etc.
>
> so, the image is correctly placed and I can safely move the coast
> around to match it?

The imagery isn't rectified using ground control points obtained via
GPS units, if that's what you're asking, so no, it's not going to be
100% accurate. I'm not certain what was used to rectify it, but I
suspect either Yahoo imagery or OSM data itself.

If you find an area where all the OSM data is off by a fixed amount,
then don't worry about moving the data, move the imagery instead. And
don't worry about it overly much, since anyone on the ground with a
GPS unit will be able to cope with a 5-10m displacement.

Cheers,
Andy