Hi,

Someoneelse wrote:
> For instance, a company (let's call them "Elcheapotech") wants to plot
> its customers' locations on a map.

[...]

> but they would object if they had to make
> public their overlay.

If they publish their overlay (for example in their yearly report - it
counts as publishing even if the report is only given to selected
people) then they have to do so under CC-BY-SA which will allow those
who receive the work to copy from it. If they don't publish, then they
don't publish.

Much like the GPL, this doesn't mean that you have to give the work to
everyone - it's just that those whom you give it to have the right to do
with it whatever they please (under CC-BY-SA).

> what happens if Elcheapotech wants to sell the
> expertise that it has gained by doing the same thing that it has
> internally as a service for other companies?

I give my secret data to Elcheapotech. They plot it on an OSM map and
give me a PDF. The PDF is now under CC-BY-SA (because, having left
Elcheapotech's business, it is considered "published"). However,
Elcheaptoech hasn't given the PDF to anyone else but me, and doesn't
have to. I, in turn, use it internally and neither I nor my employees
have an interest in publishing it. So everything is fine.

This interpretation of "public"/"publish" (as soon as it leaves your
house, even if you only hand it to a print shop for copying, it is
"published") is not shared by everyone; some say that having a
contractor work on your data for you does not count as "publish". But
the distinction is not relevant in your case.

And legal-talk is -----> that way.

Bye
Frederik