I don't see that the Wiki is self-contradictory in this case; it quite clearly states the convention for US and US Interstate highway refs.

  Is there a good argument to omitting the state abbreviation from the ref?   Will the end result of changing to just a number be usable by the "Highway Shields" project?   The common reference "County road 49" comes to mind, and how can county, state and US highways be distinguished from each other?

   I have no opinion - it would be good to agree on the highway and route relation tagging conventions.
-------------- Original message from Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com>: --------------