colliar <colliar4e...@aol.com> wrote:

>As we are working together with wikipedia, it would be nice to include
>direct-links to osm or even a small part of the map to the city/town pages.

This is already done in the beta version of Wikipedia. You can run it
if you have got a Wikipedia account. Every given coordinate in an
Wikipeida article has got an OSM-link now, which will open an embedded
OSM-map.

>I think this would be a good promotion towards osm.
>I am not much into editing wikipedia but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

The german OSM and german Wikipedia each has got 3 high-end servers
for OSM-applications. On the FOSSGIS 2010 with included OSM congress,
which ended yesterday, the developers of both projects together
performed a workshop concerning that stuff:
http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/2010/events/113.de.html

They told us, that there are many things on the road, like i.e. maps
in every Wikipedia language. For this application the name:language:
tag will be important. The advantage is, that you can read i.e russian
or chinese parts of OSM maps in latin letters or vice versa. I.e. here
is a tool by one of the developers in order to establish a
multilingual country-list:
http://toolserver.org/~mazder/multilingual-country-list/

Furthermore the free multimedia database Wikimedia Commons is now
integrated into OSM. That means, that every photo you can find in
Wikipedia articles you can embed in OSM-Wiki article as well. Here is
an OSM Wiki example with many Commons photos embedded:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:highway%3Dtrunk
Vice versa OSM people can upload their (georeferenced) photos at the
free multimedia database Wikimedia Commons now:
http://commons.wikimedia.org

The developers also think about integrating the georeferenced Commons
photos into an OSM map as it is known from Google Maps together with
http://www.panoramio.com/.

As you can see, the ball is rolling. :-)