SteveC <st...@asklater.com> wrote:

>What are the thing or things you know know that you wish you'd known
>when you started with OpenStreetMap?

The most annoying thing, I wish I had known before is, that editors
destroy things without any warning, but you do not have the chance, to
take notice of that fact.

I.e. potlatch destroys the correct order of the ways in a route
relation, i.e. if you divide a way into two parts. And you do not have
the chance to take notice, because potlatch does not show the order of
the ways in the relation. Further you are not able to notice, that
changing the direction of a way destroys a route relation, because in
this case the direction of this way is not changed in the relation
automatically. These are only two examples of many more.

Warnings concerning these facts are not brought up in the description
and videos for beginners. Thus I destroyed many relations by making
basic and alleged harmless editings, until another user told me.
Fortunately he was creator and the maintainer of these relations and
the user of another editor. So he could take notice of my destroying.
Otherwise I would have gone on. And thus I wish I had known this
before. And today I find other users destroying relations. Possibly
they wish, they had known it before, too.

The problem is, that you cannot distinguish, whether the user is the
problem or the editor: Cause there are many new editors on the road,
i.e. for smartphones. These editors need registration. You cannot edit
with your OSM-account. That means, you need many registrations in
order to test these editors. Possibly some of the editors in future
will cost money. Thus without all these accounts and paying money you
cannot distinguish, whether the user slips up or the editor.

Off topic: As far as I know, everybody is allowed to offer a new
editor. If their number will grow and destroy the OSM-data as shown
above, the maintainers could lose interest and thus the quality of
OSM-data decrease. Possibly there should be some considerations, how
the unwanted damage of the data by the editor-software could be
avoided in general.

Sorry for my bad (not native) english.