On 30 March 2010 06:04, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> > Did you read the website? Here's what it says: "Adhere to the Google
> > Maps terms and conditions and don't trace data into Open Street
> > Map..".
>
> The context is important.
>
> Website content:
> > It's been a year since I've done anything with Google WMS, but I still
> > get so much hate-mail about this service.. Here's what they want me to
> > say.. "Adhere to the Google Maps terms and conditions and don't trace
> > data into Open Street Map.."
>
> So it's in quotation marks and it isn't at all presented as the author's
> personal statement, it's what people sending "hate-mail" want him to
> say. Putting that advice in the mouths of senders of hate-mail certainly
> isn't what you do if you want to honestly want to warn people, is it?
>
> To the same effect, he could have written "just ignore the naggers with
> their legalities and trace away". It's only insignificantly more subtle
> the way he phrases it.

Thank you for bringing back the context Tobias.
More context: The message is also at the bottom of the page, after scrolling
past the instructions on how to add it to JOSM. At the top of the page he
mentions OSM. If he was nice (unlike hate mail senders) then he could write
one sentence: Although this works with OSM software it should not be
uploaded to the OSM database.

That would certainly avoid me sending him hate mail (not that I actually
would) and think that he respected OSM so I'd give him (and his work) more
respect.

--
Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com