> What I want is USA - specifically Kansas - but the whole world is ok too
> if that makes setup easier.
> We are going to practice editing with JOSM  and potlatch and for my own
> use I want to play with
> tracing farmers fields from data that my company's applicators collects
> when we apply fertilizer to our customers fields.
>

> I have several old PC's and a fairly good understanding of linux,
> apache, mysql, php etc.

  There is a good step-by-step guide to get started at
http://www.weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server-ubuntu-1004-lucid-lynx

.

  Anything that works with worldwide data take a hefty machine and lots of
disk space: 70-100G easily for DB + data and at least 1G RAM.   For slow or
limited machines, plan on the import process requiring time in days (2 days
at minimum).

  Instead of world data, substitute the Kansas extract from Cloudmade

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america/united_states/kansas#downloads_breadcrumbs