On 19 May 2010 19:14, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 16:42, Mike Collinson <m...@ayeltd.biz> wrote:
>> - Don't put in copyrighted data. It should either be your own work or
>> something that there is clear permission to use.
>
> Perhaps just talk about "data you don't have permission to submit" or
> something like that. Let's not propagate the copyrighted != non-free
> misunderstanding.

(I'm clueless about copyright and law so maybe the following is
completely crazy, but these things have bothered me)

I think this point needs to be decided, it sounds like it's a grey
area now.  Can you submit copyrighted data if you agreed to the new
Contributor Terms, even if it's under a free license?  Since you have
to grant copyright to OSMF, it may be that you can't.

This raises the question if we think that factual data can be
copyrighted or not, and if we want to be consistent in that thinking,
or should we always assume the pessimistic interpretation to be on the
safe side.

If it can be copyrighted, can this have the following consequences?

 * it may be that you can't submit data traced from non-public domain
imagery (such as OS) if you're a new user.
 * it may be that you can't edit existing data in OSM because it's
licensed CC-By-SA, and edits are usually derived from it (there can be
modifications that are not derived, but they don't make much sense).
So maybe the relicensing of existing data should have happened before
new contributors can edit.  (apart from the point that it may be
useless for them to make edits if the whole element later gets removed
if the original contributor doesn't/can't agree to relicense... maybe
there should be a big fat warning)

If data can't be copyrighted, then:

 * asking contributors to relicense is just a courtesy? (they may
still need to grant their database rights but not the copyright, so
then there's no problem with Australian administrative boundaries and
other CC-By-SA sources we used?)

Cheers