On Fri, 21 May 2010, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pieren wrote:
> > place=farm
> > In some countries the official type of a residential area smaller than a
> > hamlet (Germany: Gehöft <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/de:Geh%C3%B6ft>).
> >
> > place=isolated_dwelling
> > In some countries the official type of a residential area smaller than a
> > hamlet (Germany: nicht ein Gehöft
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/de:Geh%C3%B6ft>).
>
> I don't like the "in some countries" stuff. OSM is not organised by
> countries.
>
> I suggest:
>
> place=farm - use this for residential areas smaller than a hamlet,
> unless you think that place=isolated_dwelling is more appropriate
>
> place=isolated_dwelling - use this for residential areas smaller than a
> hamlet, unless you think that place=farm is more appropriate
>
> You may also use landuse=residential for residential areas or
> landuse=farmyard for farm yards. If someone lives on the farm, either
> tag place=farm and landuse=residential, or use place=isolated_dwelling
> and landuse=farmyard.
>
> I'm not entirely serious about this. But a little.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

This started as a "deprecate farm    yes/no" thread
because now "solated_dwelling will now replace farm"

these concepts are neither mutually exclusive nor complementary
they overlap
neither one can be used instead of the other

what about the isolated dwelling of the lighthouse keeper?
what about the farm that is not isolated?

I don't find isolated_dwelling useful at all in my view of my country
I accept that others find it useful in their view of their country.
We may not be "organised by country"
but we can't all fit into each others country view.