Frederik Ramm schrieb am 07.06.2010 19:36:
>> So if that interpretation of CC-BY-SA is correct, practically no one would
>> be
>> able to do really creative things with OSM if she or he would like to get a
>> ROI
>> on that work?
>
> Our standard reply is that you cannot expect to apply old-world business
> models to our new world order. There is a lot of room for "really
> creative things"; taking our map and printing an A-Z is not exactly a
> prime example of creativity.

Tnx Frederik.

You might like AZ (or Falk or whatever) or not - but please don't underestimate
the creative work of cartographers. Making a good readable, fine-looking paper
map is far more than installing Mapnik, choosing some color styles and pressing
the render-button.

Why making to much assumptions or restriction regarding the kind of business
models evolving behind OSM? I think it's not a good attitude to say, we don't
like or respect this or that usage of OSM because it's too old school, it's not
Web 2.0 or ..geez.. someone claims his own license for his IP (damn capitalist
;-)).

So, looks ODbL is an inevitable step along the path towards fostering more
creative IP on top of OSM.

Regards
Alex

--